If you’re a coffee-lover, you’d probably agree that the method used in brewing the coffee beans make all the difference in the aroma, texture, freshness, and taste of a cup of coffee. Aside from that, the method you use in brewing your coffee also determines the nutritional value and number of antioxidants in your coffee, which may or may not help reduce your exposure to carcinogenic chemicals.
For many people, manual brewing methods allow for better quality control and greater coffee experience. It is also more fun and fascinating to have a hands-on approach with the brewing process instead of just hitting the brew button on a coffee machine. With this, the movement for gourmet-type coffee making increased, and many different gadgets and options are now available for brewing coffee.
Today, we are giving you the most popular coffee brewing methods and the benefits that you can get from each of them.
Espresso Machine Brewing
You can find espresso machines in different sizes and shapes, and each has loads of features. But the basic way on how it works is by pushing pressurized water through a chamber of finely ground coffee beans, through a filter, which results in the famous shot of espresso. Most people also think that espresso machines are expensive. Well, you can spend as little or as much as you want. But you need to decide first what type of espresso machine you want.
Also, when using an espresso machine, you need to use a fine, consistent grind. The result is a strong, sharp, and flavorful espresso shot. Add in some hot water, it becomes an Americano. You can also froth some milk to create a milk-based coffee.
- An espresso machine can brew coffee fast.
- Its price ranges from relatively cheap to super expensive, and there are many options.
- It can brew highly concentrated and as well as sharp caffeine brew.
Moka Pot Brewing
If you want to make some espresso shots, but you do not have the budget to buy an espresso machine, then you can opt for a Moka pot. This type of brewing method features a three-chambered brew process. When the water in the bottom chamber boils, the steam will cause pressure that will push the water up through the coffee grounds going to the top chamber.
In this type of brewing method, a coarser than a fine type of grind is needed. It will result in not quite an espresso shotbut very close to it, if you use the right grind and technique. You need to expect a sharp and strong tasting coffee for this method.
- It is a super cheap way to brew coffee.
- It works fast.
- It is very portable and perfect for traveling and backpacking.
Aero Press Brewing
Aero Press is a very popular way to brew coffee, especially for those who are always on-the-go. Using it is very simple.You just need to have the right water temperature, the right level of air pressure, and the right size of the grind to make an excellent tasting brew in just a few minutes. This brewing method will enable you to make regular coffee, cold-brew, and even almost-espresso.
- It is a very portable type of coffee brewer.
- You can use it to make different types of coffee.
- Fun to use and makes a great clean cup of coffee.
French Press Brewing
French Press is another popular way to brew coffee. What is the benefit of a French Press, and why do you think it’s popular? Well, it’s likely due to many reasons, but one of those is that it’s super easy to use. It’s not super quick to brew coffee, but not super slow either. From heating the waterto steepingand plunging, you can take about 10 minutes to finish. It is a perfect method for those who love to drink strong coffee.
- A French Press is easy to use.
- It creates a distinct and unique coffee flavor.
- You can use it to make large pots of coffee without the need to repeat the whole process of brewing.
Vacuum Pot Brewing
The vacuum pot is also known as the siphon pot. It is a unique way to brew coffee. This is a combination of a full immersion brew, but it uses a siphon action to create a great cup of coffee. Unlike other methods, this one is not simple. In fact, you will need lots of effort and patience with this method. But it can result in a great-tasting cup. It can make very clean and flavorful coffee. It is great if you are into coffee-making gadgets, and you want to try something different.
- It can produce the best-tasting coffee based on experts if the process is done correctly.
- People who see you using it will think that you’re an expert when it comes to brewing coffee.
Turkish Coffee Brewing
When you look at the process, brewing Turkish coffee looks very easy. The most common way to do this is by using a Turkish coffee pot, water, and finely ground coffee beans. The coffee you can make with this method is almost similar to Greek coffee, which is perfect if you love black and strong-tasting coffee.
- It is quick and easy to do.
- It can give you a unique, strong flavor and aroma.
- Only minimal equipment is required to be able to brew coffee through this method.
Cold Drip Brewing
Cold brew coffee is one of the most popular caffeine-infused innovations today, and it is different from iced coffee. Cold drip brewing is done by slowly dripping cold filtered water through the fresh grinds for a long period, which is more than 10 hours. You can do this using a cold brew coffee maker or a simple mason jar to make your own. This is a great method for people who live in hot areas. But it is not suitable for those with short patience.
- This coffee brewing method results in a unique tasting cup of coffee without any bitterness.
- There’s no caffeine crash.
- You can make some extra of this type of coffee and store it in the fridge.
A Chemex brewer looks like a vase, but it is indeed used for making coffee. You can use it to make 3 or 4 cups of coffee in one go, which is perfect for serving guests. Unlike other drippers, it is not very simple to use. You will need to master the finer details when it comes to grinding size, water temperature, and coffee volume. But once you do, you will surely fall in love with the best cup of coffee you will make with it.
- Can make 3 to 4 cups of coffee in one go.
- Results in a vibrant and aromatic brew.
- A good-looking way to brew coffee.
These are some of the most common ways to brew coffee and the benefits that each method offers. With these, we can truly say that the taste and quality of coffee really dependon the type of brewing method used. Which of these methods do you think will best cater to your needs?